FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 5, 2020
HAPPY NATIONAL 211 DAY!
211 has been connecting people to vital services in the CNY community for more than 5 years.
Syracuse, NY – National 2-1-1 Day, celebrated on February 11th (2/11) each year, recognizes the more than 200+, 211’s located throughout the country. 211 is a free, confidential information and referral service that connects more than 94.6 percent of our nation to essential health and human services 24-hours a day, 365 days a year either online or over the phone.
Locally, 211 CNY is a partnership between the United Way of Central New York, United Way of Greater Oswego County, United Way of Northern New York and Contact Community Services. 211 CNY brings together organizations in the community to better serve the residents of five counties: Onondaga, Oswego, Jefferson, Lewis, and St. Lawrence. In 2019, the 211 CNY call center answered more than 30,000 calls for the five-county region.
211 CNY can offer access for those in need to the following types of service organizations:
- Basic Human Needs, such as food pantries, shelters, clothing, rent and utility assistance;
- Physical and Mental Health Resources, such as health insurance programs, Medicaid and Medicare, maternal health, children’s health insurance programs, medical information lines, crisis intervention services, support groups, counseling, drug and alcohol intervention and rehabilitation;
- Employment Supports, such as financial assistance, job training, transportation assistance, and education programs;
- Support for Older Americans and Persons with Disabilities, such as adult day care, congregate meals, Meals on Wheels, respite care, home health care, transportation, homemaker services and independent living programs;
- Support for Children, Youth and Families, such as childcare, after-school programs, Head Start, summer camps and recreation programs, mentoring, tutoring, protective services;
- Volunteer Opportunities and Donations, such as community involvement, volunteer centers, disaster relief, toy drives, food drives, Christmas Bureau Distribution;
- Military and Family Support, such as programs that serve veterans and their families, community resources, mental health resources and counseling;
- …and much more!
“Every hour of every day, someone in our community needs access to vital services – from finding treatment for substance use disorders to securing adequate care for a child or an aging parent,” said Cheryl Giarrusso, director of crisis intervention services, Contact Community Services. “By celebrating National 211 Day, it allows us to remind the Central New York community that 211 connects people of all ages and from all communities to the essential health and human services they need, 24-hours a day, seven days a week.”
To get connected 24/7 with resources for a variety of life’s changes, call 211, visit 211CNY.com, or text your zip code to 898211.
About Contact Community Services, Inc.
Founded in 1971, Contact Community Services, Inc. is a multi-faceted organization that supports the social, emotional, behavioral and mental health of children, youth and adults in Central New York. Contact delivers this support through three broad program areas: Crisis and Suicide Prevention; School Support Services; and Training and Education. For more information, visit ContactSyracuse.org or follow us socially at Facebook.com/ContactSyracuse; Instagram.com/ContactSyracuse; or Twitter @ContACTSyracuse.